Background images can make your typeform more appealing and help you inject your own brand into the design.
You can add or edit the background image of your typeform under the themes section of the Design panel. We explain how this is done in the steps below. To find out how to insert images, GIFs and video into questions, go read this Help Center article.
Add a background image
You can use an image from our integrated Unsplash-powered library, or upload your own.
1. Open a typeform and click on the Design icon in the sidebar.
2. Select a theme to edit it, or click + to create a new theme.
3. Click the Add button next to Background image.
4. Now you can find an image from our Unsplash image library or an icon from the Noun Project. Simply type in a search term, and scroll through the images until you find one you like.
5. Click that image so it’s highlighted, then the Continue button will become available. Hit this, and the photo will appear as your background!
Tips! All the images you find with the Unsplash image search tool are free to use however you like. You can use them for private or commercial purposes. You have a non-exclusive copyright license to download, copy, modify, distribute, and use photos from the library, without the need for permission or attribution to the photographer (though giving credit is always appreciated).
6. Alternatively, you can upload an image, GIF or icon from your computer. Click Upload to browse for an image using the link or drag and drop it:
Tips! This background image will be applied to your entire typeform, including Welcome and Thank You Screens. If you want to have different backgrounds on your questions, except Welcome and Thank You Screens, you can do that with the Layout feature in question settings. Find out how in this article.
7. Customize your image by rotating or flipping it, or try a different aspect ratio.
Warning! When using your own images, it’s important to avoid designing with a fixed window width and height in mind, as screens will vary in sizes and shape depending on the device the typeform will be displayed on. Because screen sizes vary it isn’t possible to add banner images at the top or bottom of the typeform.
8. Choose a filter from the filter gallery.
Warning! The size limit to uploaded images is 2MB and 1680×1050 pixels. Also note that when you upload a background image the platform automatically takes the average of the colors and sets a background color based on that. You can change this color manually after adding the background image. The color will stay as defined until you upload (the same or another) background image again.
9. Adjust the brightness, contrast and saturation of the image, and hit Save when ready.
10. Adjust the other settings of your new theme and click Save as new theme.
Now you’ll see your freshly created theme in the theme gallery in the Design panel: