Ranking lets your respondents vote for their favorite things by ordering them based on their preferences. You can then see what people’s most favorite and least favorite choices are in your results.
Ranking and Rating - although their name and functionality is similar - can be used for different purposes:
- Use the Ranking question to compare different items to each other, for example, to rank people’s most and least favorite celebrities.
- Use the Rating question to compare different items on a common scale, for example, to ask people how much they like a celebrity on a scale of 1 to 5.
To add a Ranking question to your typeform:
1. Click + and select Ranking from the list.
2. Add your choices to the Ranking question:
3. Go to question settings and toggle the switch to make your Ranking question Required.
Note! You can't select Randomize in question settings or add Logic to Ranking questions. You also can't Recall information from this question type.
4. Check out what it will look like in the Live Preview. When people interact with your typeform, they’ll be able to drag the options, or select numbers from the dropdown list.
5. Publish and share your typeform, and wait for the results to roll in.
6. Once you’ve collected some results, go to the Results panel and click the Summary tab to see the current standing of your Ranking question:
The average you'll see is the average ranking of each option within the set. So if there are 10 options, the average can be between 1 and 10. This is calculated in the following way:
- (rank position x number of responses for each rank position) / total number of responses
This is how the first option with 3.48 average is calculated in this example:
- ((1 x 9) + (2 x 4) + (3 x 2) + (4 x 1) + (5 x 1) + (6 x 1) + (7 x 1) + (8 x 2) + (9 x 1) + (10 x 1)) / 23 = 3.478
7. Click View details or Generate a report to look at how each option is performing.
That’s it! Now what do you want your respondents to rank? Their favorite anime characters? Presidents? Emojis? Martians? The floor’s all yours.