If you're using the Classic builder, you can find that article here.
When a question requires people to choose from a list of options, you need a Multiple Choice question. An essential part of quizzes, exams, tests, surveys and more, here’s how to use this useful and durable question in your typeforms.
Multiple Choices can also be used to create complex question types such as Likert Scale questions: to evaluate something according to any kind of set of criteria.
Here is an example:
1. You can add one to your typeform by clicking on the + button in the Content panel. This opens the questions menu, where you choose Multiple Choice by clicking it:
2. Now type your question, a description if you want, and hit Enter to add your choices:
Tips! You can reorder answer choices by simply dragging and dropping them. You can also add answer choices by simply copying and pasting them from a spreadsheet, for example.
1. Click on the Multiple Choice button to open the settings menu:
2. Here you can make your question required, allow multiple selection, randomize (so the order of your choices will change every time your typeform is opened), and add an "Other" option. Clicking the "Other" option opens a text field where respondents can type in their answer:
3. If you choose to activate Multiple selection, you can then choose to allow people unlimited selections, an exact number, or give them a range ("Choose 3-5 of the following", for example):
Warning! Once you’ve collected responses, you can’t change the setting of the multiple selections button as this would cause inconsistencies in your data. If you need to change the multiple selections setting after collecting responses please check out this article to learn how.
Adding images and media to your question
Please see this article for how to add images and media to your typeform questions.
How many choices can I add to a Multiple Choice question?
There’s no limit! You can add as many as you like, though your typeform will look better if you group answers in smaller groups.
How many characters can each choice have?
Note that each Multiple Choice option is limited to 255 characters. If you go over this limit, the text will cut off at the 255-character point in the public typeform.
How can I reorder my choices?
Currently, you need to delete one choice to be able to reorder them. We know this is not ideal, and we're working on it!
In the meantime, you can get around this by converting your Multiple Choice question into a Ranking question. Then reorder your choices, then convert it back into a Multiple Choice.
Here are some ideas for using Multiple Choice questions:
- Create a Persona Survey
- Make a product feedback form
- Build tools to make classroom activities more fun
- Create a signup form